Rehab Recovery in New York, NY (646) 918-5955
Recovery programs are nothing more than tried and true methods for dealing with addiction. The most famous rehab recovery in New York. Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), has served as a model for other addiction programs simply because its 12-step system has been the most effective. To be successful, recovery programs must focus both on recovery and on relapse prevention after rehabilitation.
What Is Addiction Treatment Therapy?
Addiction treatment aims to change the behaviors and mental processes that surround addiction.
Common mechanisms applied in addiction treatment therapy include cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational interviewing, and motivational incentives. Each is effective in a different way.
CBT is the most widely used form of addiction treatment therapy, though motivational interviewing is growing rapidly in popularity. CBT begins with a counselor attempting to determine the root cause of addictive behavior. Next, after triggers are identified, the counselor works with the patient to develop tools for circumventing or changing addictive mental processes. Ultimately, CBT seeks to provide addicts with new ways of dealing with existing problems so that they can avoid their traditional mechanism of coping, which was substance abuse.
Motivational interviewing (MI) is non-judgmental, non-confrontational, and can be adapted to suit individuals regardless of how willing they are to change their behavior. MI focuses on incremental change by addressing small problems first and then progressing to larger problems. One major objective is to help addicts to develop solutions to their problems rather than to offer solutions outright as in CBT.
Other types of therapy include smart recovery, art therapy, restorative yoga, group meetings, biofeedback, family therapy, and motivational incentives. Motivational incentives work by providing attractive rewards for both short-term and long-term changes in addictive behavior. In most cases, a combination of therapies is the most effective way of reducing addictive behavior. One of the advantages of a residential treatment program is that it allows individuals to explore multiple treatment options in order to find those that work best for them.
The general criteria for effective addiction treatment are always the same. A program needs to be supportive, non-confrontational, and adaptable. It should be flexible enough to conform to the needs of each individual and to address the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of addiction. The following is a look at several different methods for addressing substance abuse.
- SMART Recovery - An abstinence-oriented program that uses techniques based on solid scientific research to help individuals control addictive behavior. SMART stands for Self-Management and Recovery Training.
- Art Therapy - Art therapy combines art with psychotherapy to determine what motivates an individual to act in a particular manner. Art is used as the expressive or communicative medium.
- Music Therapy - Music therapy works similarly to art therapy by combining musical expression with psychological analysis to help individuals determine the root causes of their behavior.
- Restorative Yoga - Restorative yoga uses props to help individuals achieve mental, physical and emotional relaxation. It can be very useful in anxiety disorders.
- MRT (Moral Recognition Therapy) - MRT seeks to reduce recidivism by enhancing moral reasoning. It uses CBT and other psychological treatments to address behavior and encourage positive societal interactions.
- 12-Step Programs - 12-step programs, like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), help users recover from addiction by slowly addressing the stages that led to addiction. Rehab recovery in New York is seen as a cumulative process.
- Group Meetings - Group meetings encourage sharing among members who are at various stages of their recovery. Members help one another by sharing their own experiences and offering advice about what helps to reduce addiction.
- Individual Counseling - Individual counseling employs a variety of techniques to help individuals address the behavioral aspects of addiction.
- GeneralSpirituality - Individuals use their belief in a higher power to help motivate them to change their behavior.
- Biofeedback - Biofeedback teaches individuals to monitor their physical and mental wellbeing for changes that may precipitate addictive behavior. It can go so far as to pair painful or unpleasant stimuli with addictive behavior in hopes of changing brain processes.
- Family Therapy - Family therapy gives both individuals and their families the training they need to deal with addiction. Families work together, as a unit, to improve an addict's life.
Effective treatment should be continued for a prolonged period of time and should attend to all of an individual's treatment needs, not just his or her addiction. That means dealing with mental and physical health issues, social issues, and family issues. An effective treatment program should also recognize the value of both medication and cognitive therapies in both short- and long-term recovery.
Call Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers New York to discuss your options for treatment. Dial (646) 918-5955 today.